I really do have Flash installed.
What follows is a plain HTML version of the puzzle.
Imagine living in a world without bees or other pollinators!
It would be a world without flowers, fruit, even a cup of coffee. A world, even, without chocolate!
Thanks to the wonderful work of bees, butterflies, birds, and other animal pollinators,
the world's flowering plants are able to reproduce and bear fruit, providing many of the foods we eat,
the plant materials we and other organisms use, and the beauty we see around us.
Yet today, there is evidence indicating alarming pollinator population declines worldwide.
Please use your browser's back button to return to USGS Kids.
If you get stuck, try the "HINT" feature.
1. when brined, they change into pickles
2. where food is grown
4. Fats Domino's "–––––– Hill"
7. Ocean Spray drink ingredients
8. the category for oranges, apples, bananas, etc.
9. bees that can sting multiple times
11. it makes honey
15. the process of transferring pollen from the male to the female part of a flower
20. the science of crop-raising
21. their larvae are maggots
22. they are used to make guacamole
25. a migrating Monarch
26. "Uncle Milton's ––– Farm"
27. malaria carrying insects
28. our feathered friends
1. Hot Fudge Sundae "with a ––––– on top"
3. Goldens, Romes, Granny Smiths, etc.
5. a favorite picnic dessert fruit
6. the smallest bird
10. the fine dust-like grain discharged from the male part of a flower
12. a flying insect drawn to lights
13. a winged mammal that often lives in a cave
14. a melon
16. what we eat
17. slang for insects such as cockroaches, etc.
18. the male reproductive organ in a flower
19. the largest order of insects
23. "–––––– Joy" candy bar
24. the part of a plant from which the fruit or seed is developed