I really do have Flash installed.
What follows is a plain HTML version of the puzzle.
The making of a living organism: The structure and composition of living organisms varies greatly -
from single celled bacteria to complex multi-cellular organisms with differentiated cell types and
interconnected organ systems. Regardless of the complexity, every living entity contains a blueprint
for its construction in the form of a double-helical chain of molecules called deoxyribonucleic acid (DNA)
Please use your browser's back button to return to USGS Kids.
If you get stuck, try the "HINT" feature.
1. the study of traits shared between similar species
9. part of a cell that determines some characteristic of its offspring
13. a community of plants or animals of the same species
14. the double helix
16. a living plant or animal
17. basic functional unit of an organism
18. using science to answer legal questions
19. determining the order of amino acids in DNA
20. using science to study the way things work
21. differences between individuals of the same species
2. an individual organism's genetic inheritance
3. the study of evolutionary patterns of diversity
4. a plan
5. ability to adapt to a changing environment
6. the study of the causes and effects of diseases
7. farming area that grows only one crop
8. scientific system of naming living things
10. the chemical processes of life
11. the part of a cell that contains its genetic material
12. all the living things in an ecosystem
15. group of atoms that form a chemical compound